Lets Talk about Niacinamide...
Niacinamide, also known as Vitamin B3 is an essential nutrient that benefits skin health. It can help protein in the skin and lock in moisture to prevent environmental damage. This versatile ingredient has become one of the most talked about actives in the last few years.
Lets talk about how topical niacinamide can benefit your skin and do wonders for it -
- It helps rebuild a lipid layer, which helps in minimising appearance of pores and prevents UV damage and performs as an antioxidant
- It also is one of those actives that works for every skin type, even sensitive skin
- It can also help in diminishing fine lines and wrinkles by boosting collagen
- It helps reduce sebum production which can help in treating acne
- Niacinamide, being water soluble is more readily absorbed into the skin through a water based serum
- unlike some other actives, niacinamide doesn't pose as an increase UV risk so it doesn't contribute to photo sensitivity which is specially another pro for people living in tropical climate.
Now that we know about the skin benefits of niacinamide, Lets discuss the ideal percentage of it to be used for optimum results.
A higher percentage of an active ingredient like niacinamide isn't always better. For Niacinamide to be effective in a product, it needs to be in a range of 2% to 10%, products around 5% are especially well tolerated for all skin types.
Using niacinamide at 5% will make it unlikely to experience skin sensitivity or any irritation which can happen with higher percentages especially when your skin is not adapted to it.
Another question we get a lot from our clients is what other actives can be layered along with a niacinamide serum.
Niacinamide is a unique skincare ingredient that gets along with most other commonly used products. hence, its safe to layer it with vitamin C, retinols, Bhas and other antioxidants.
Are there still some questions about Niacinamide that you would like answered?
Drop them below.